Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tattoos and Mental Health, Continued

I was so happy to see that one of my other cousins, Sierra, responded to my cousin Danielle's post on my blog about her tattoos. I spent a lot more time with Sierra growing up, because she lived much closer to my Grandma. I remember having sleeping overs with her, and we would stay up ridiculously late. On one occasion, we watched TV, played with Barbies, and curled our hair until 4 in the morning. I'll cherish those memories forever.

Thanks, Sierra!

Now, her own words...

***

I saw your blog post about tattoos and overcoming depression, and could instantly relate. After Grandma died I was deeply saddened,  I had already been suffering from depression for about 7 years and was on a lot of meds because of it. When she passed I didn't really know what to do and I was terrified of going deeper into my depression.  While preparing for her funeral, I came to a revelation.  Grandma was such a kind and uplifting person, always pushing for us to grow and just be happy in whatever you do; I just couldn't be sad, she wouldn't have wanted me to. Although Grandma might not have loved tattoos, I decided to get one for her. I decided on a Marigold,  because she always had them planted on her porch out front. I remember spending a lot of time out tending the garden with her; it made her very happy. Today this tattoo makes me feel her love and warmth whenever I see it. Im not sure if the tattoo may have anything to do with my health, but after I got the tattoo I made a choice to go off my antidepressants that I had been on for 7 years. I am proud to say today that it has been an entire year since I have been on any meds for my mental health. And everyday I can look down at my Marigold and thank Grandma.


DISCLAIMER: I am very thankful for the words that Sierra shared. However, I would just like to point out that whenever you make changes to your medication routine, you should consult your doctor. While some people, like Sierra, can go off their medication, others, like me, cannot. The truth is, everyone has a different situation, and mine requires me to take medication for the rest of my life. 



Please be aware of your own situation and take care of yourself!




***




It just struck me how interesting it is that my older cousins have gone through some things very similar to what I am going through. It makes me feel closer to them, and I appreciate them in a new way. If there's any message in this, it would be that opening up can allow you to find support and assurance in unexpected places.




As always, your stories are welcome on my blog. Feel free to contact me through email, Facebook, or Twitter. Just click the Contact Me link at the top of the page.