Monday, May 27, 2013

Being Your Own Superhero, featuring My Neighbor Totoro


Today's post has been rolling around in my head for days. It's no secret that I've been dealing with feelings of misery and self-pity. I have been having many "If Only" thoughts. Feelings that someone else could fix my situation and make me happy. That other people are depriving me or my happiness.

It's about time that this princess woke the heck up, huh? Talk about high-maintenance. 

Instead of waiting for a superhero to save me, maybe I should be my own superhero. After all, it only takes two steps to become one:

1. Believe that you are super.
2. Believe you are worth saving.

You don't even have to get off of the couch for those first two steps!


It can be frustrating and difficult to take responsibility for your own happiness, and for that reason, it's okay to get some help from cuddly friends like Totoro. There is, however, a fine line between receiving some assistance with an imaginary Japanese pep talk and relying on someone else completely.

I am guilty of putting too much pressure on other people to help me overcome bad feelings. I'll admit that sometimes my depression can make me feel extremely hopeless. In those times, it's okay to lean on the ones you love and allow them to help you care for yourself. It's the in-between times that are trickier. The times when you are the only one who can push yourself to get out of bed, take your medication, and start your day. Sometimes there is no choice when it comes to moods, but other times, there are small actions we can take to push ourselves into a better mood or limit the effects of negative thoughts.

For example, I was in bed the other day and I just kept thinking about how much everyone hates me and would be happier if I weren't around. I just lay there for twenty-something minutes feeling bad for myself and making myself cry. Way to go, team!

I finally realized that although my mood might be depressed, I was choosing to entertain these thoughts. To reduce them, all I would have to do was get out of bed and distract myself. So I watched Freaks and Geeks with my mom. No, I'm not getting a Nobel Prize this year, but I was able to ameliorate my situation slightly. That's what a superhero does.


Today, I am renewing my promise to myself to be my own superhero. To look out for myself, have healthy self-worth, and fight against bad moods. I know that while I am not perfect, there are some pretty super things about me. I am smart, fun to be around, and a loyal friend. I am worth saving because I am going to accomplish great things. I am going to write books and teach children.

Don't underestimate your own abilities and your own potential. I used to be the kid who couldn't come up with something to say to compliment myself. I always settled on "nice" because it didn't seem too intense. Forget that! You can be an amazing person and know it! I mean, you're a superhero, aren't you?

***

I just read this on Tumblr and couldn't keep it to myself:

You occupy space and have mass.
Therefore, you matter.


Just a reminder and a thank you about my Q&A session:

Thank you to everyone that has already sent in questions! 
I will be posting them all with answers on Thursday.

If you have a mental health-related question (or two!) that you would like me to answer, send me an email at:


Thank you for reading today!
Jenna